A Very Dangerous Kind of Peanut Butter
We all use peanut butter to stuff Kongs, and it’s especially great for hiding pills. But this is serious—some peanut (or other nut) butter manufacturers are using xylitol now. Xylitol is hailed as a “natural” sweetener which does not promote human tooth decay and may help with human weight loss. It may be fine for humans, BUT IT IS NOT OKAY FOR DOGS, even in extremely small doses.
Many of us know that xylitol is commonly used in sugarless gum and toothpaste, and depending on the size of the dog, even a few pieces of gum with xylitol can be deadly. But it is now being used in baked goods, candies, and even kid’s vitamins.
As its use spreads to things like peanut butter it is even more important for Dog Parents to be vigilant and read the label. The effects of xylitol are fast, and sometimes silent. It can cause dangerously low blood pressure which does cause symptoms, but it appears now that some dogs skip this step and go straight to liver failure. If you even suspect your dog has ingested something with xylitol, you must see a veterinarian immediately. The prognosis is much better when you act fast!